Sunday, February 6, 2022

Black History Month: Celebrating the life and legacy of Black Women Educators – Angela Stevens

 


I was 11 years old when my father told me “I could do anything I wanted, with determination”. Oh boy, did this give me confidence! My mother taught me the importance of treating others who crossed my path with respect, because you never know who you will need in the long run. Oh boy, was she right!

My passion for early childhood education began at the age of 16. I had the opportunity to volunteer at a childcare facility as part of a high school program. I obtained a job at a local church childcare; where I worked my way up from a 17-year-old substitute to lead teacher at the age of 18. After graduating from South View (Class of 1998, Go Tigers!) I gave birth to a beautiful healthy daughter (Adrianne, 2000) and son (Andrew, 2003) and married the love of my life (Marcus, 2001) who also is an educator at a Middle School.

I have an amazing support system from my beautiful family including in-laws. Throughout the years I operated a family childcare home facility for 2 years where I entered a world that ultimately helped me build my vision, philosophy, and goals. Which is to strengthen families, by building relationships through children who are in my care.

I was employed with the local Head Start program (Action Pathways) which is a federally funded program that provides free social and educational opportunities to prepare income-eligible children with essential skills needed to enter the public school system. While at Head Start, I held many positions: teacher assistant, bus driver, child advocate, lead teacher supervisor, and on-site supervisor. For anyone who works in education, you know I left out many other roles. There, I learned the real meaning of a work family. I had the opportunity to live out the values my parents instilled in me at a young age.

I received my Associates in General Education from FTCC and a degree in Birth-Kindergarten at FSU (Go Broncos!) in 2011. Yes, I completed two degrees at the same time as well becoming the first one in my family to receive college degrees. I worked in the Division of Child Development and Early Education as Connectivity Consultant for 1 year before transitioning into my current position as a Child Care Consultant. I truly get to use my expertise to educate providers in the Early Childhood world on best practices to ensure the safety of children.

When I received the request to share my educational story, I was honored and a bit shocked, because I'm just a classy country girl from Fayetteville, NC who was born in 1980 who greets everyone with a smile. I couldn’t have done it without my family’s encouragement. My advice to you is treat others with respect, demand respect, and last but not least, you can do anything you want with determination. In the words of my favorite NFL team Carolina Panthers KEEPPOUNDING! 


1 comment:

  1. Angela Stevens: There was a kindred spirit from our initial meeting and expanded when we worked closely on a planning content presentation committee. We found solace during those meetings where you displayed your creative helpful insight on task set before us. During those conversation, you showed Black family love motivating all to succeed. Thanks for allowing me to have your story in the series of Black Women Educators.

    ReplyDelete