Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Black History Month: Celebrating the life and legacy of Black Women Educators – Teresa Speller

 


In the Spring of 2002, I was married with 4 children working at KinderCare Learning Center in Greenville, NC. I found myself pondering my life and the daily paycheck to paycheck struggle like most and an overwhelming feeling of failure and disappointment that my path was changed. Although I loved my family, I wanted to be an example to my children and did not feel I was being that example. I enrolled back into East Carolina University and with the support of my director Betty Flanagan and my sister Patricia Rascoe (now Reese) I attended classes on my lunch break and in the evenings. By December 2004 I walked the stage and received my Bachelors’ Degree in Family Community Services. My new path had begun.

After divorcing I accepted a position in Raleigh, NC with KinderCare as a Director and moved my three boys and myself to Wake County in June 2005. After years of dedicated service to the early childhood community I found myself intrigued by the lack of knowledge of teachers in childcare about special education.  I accepted a position with the Raleigh Children’s Developmental Agency with their Bee Early NC Early Intervention program.

As a Youth Minister in my church, my passion for children grew stronger so I founded S.T.E.P. Innovations. A nonprofit organization geared towards mentoring the youth of my community. My first large event was on October 6, 2012, a talent show, “God Bless the Child”. My mom, Mary Price and I sold food plates to raise the $2000 for the building and there it all began. Children across the State had a platform to showcase their talents. I was forever hooked. It was a FREE event.

I connected with the community center in Fuquay Varina, NC because I wanted to do more and with little out of pocket cash, I needed a cheaper way to host events. Thanks to Anthony DiMarzo I was able to start, I LOVE ME CAMP. For three years (2013, 2014, 2015) my mom and I with the help of amazing friends, family, strangers, and local businesses we were able to provide a one-week evening camp to children FREE of charge. The target was families who had children that could use emotional support and encouragement and fun that typically are not able to attend summer camps due to parents work schedule, finances, or lack of opportunity. I started this because a friend came to me concerned about her child who had attempted to overdose because of bullying. I wanted to instill in the youth to first LOVE YOURSELF (40 youth attended this camp). Every year we had a few extras because it was hard to say no to a family that needed us. A parent had a plaque made and presented it to me along with letters of love and appreciation from campers. Best feeling ever knowing and hearing the change our camp made in their lives.

Over the years I have hosted events in the community all to better the youth and support the community at-large. Be Your Best Career Day was to show youth that there are more options out there to pursue past doctor, firemen, police, or a teacher. We all grew up thinking we had to be one of them. I Am Awareness Day was created to bring awareness to the challenges people faced right next door and to show that we all are responsible for our youth.

Holiday events were sponsored to just provide fun experiences that our community could be proud of. Local businesses supported every event. It made me proud to live in Fuquay Varina, NC. Through it all my husband George Speller, Sr. was the backbone supporting me with money and his carpentry skills. My children Terrell, Dyshon, Trevon and Geordan volunteered their time even when they didn’t want to.

The Summer of 2017, I enrolled in the master’s program at East Carolina University to pursue my degree in Birth to Kindergarten hoping it would open doors for me to further my passion. I graduated December 2019 with a 3.63 GPA and Master of Arts in Education (Birth to Kindergarten, Certificate Assistive Technology, Certificate in Autism, and a big fat student loan).

In 2018 while, still in school I started Purposeful Innovative Education Solutions, LLC also working full time at the Division of Child Development. I wanted to expand and start my road of entrepreneurship. I provided special instruction to children enrolled in the early intervention programs through home sessions with families, provide childcare training to childcare teachers, classroom coaching to Head Start and preschools. I became an approved provider for the American Red Cross providing Babysitter’s Training and CPR/First AID/ AED training to those wanting to be certified in basic level training. I started a half day preschool program called, The imPOSSIBLE Preschool, that was set to open July 1, 2020 but was halted due to COVID. I still used my preschool where I have written two short children’s books where the characters created and designed are family members with an emphasis on developmental milestone guide for parents and teachers for children 2-5 years old. Also, I am a substitute teacher for Wake County Public Schools and hope to resume subbing once COVID allows me to do so safely.

I truly realize that I am a coach and recently started Be Ya Best Coaching providing health and life coaching people to help them find their Happy Place as I have. I am homeschooling my daughter and started Speller Academy in April of 2020, which was perfect timing, as the schools all shut down soon after.

I have volunteered in Autism Walks, March of Dimes, MLK Day, The African American Cultural festival, The S.I.S.I The Giving Back to Garner Community Center, TCP Magazine, Back to School Events.



2 comments:

  1. Teresa Speller: May God continue to bless your life as you use skills/talents bestowed upon you in the field of education and beyond. Thanks for allowing me to have your story in the series of Black, beautiful, inspiring and more Woman Educator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teresa,Teresa,Teresa, My Sister,girl I am so PROUD of you.Thank God for you. You are the perfect example of how God uses us to help others. I continue to pray for your success and family. Again, I'm proud of you. Be Blessed, love you

    ReplyDelete