Friday, February 25, 2022

Black History Month: Celebrating the life and legacy of Black Women Educators – Angela Morse

 


I was born and raised in a small and rural town - South Hill, Virginia. Even as a child, I knew that I would end up in the field of education since I was surrounded by it. My parents were also educators. I have been in the field of early childhood education since high school. 

I started volunteering at St. Paul's College's Child Development Center, with their preschool classroom and with school agers. After having my experiences with SPC, I wanted to continue my journey in the field of early education. I attended North Carolina Central University and received my bachelor's degree, majoring in Family and Consumer Sciences with a specialization in Child Development and Family Relations. 

After receiving my bachelor's degree, my experience in early childhood continued while teaching at New Beginnings Child Care in Warrenton, North Carolina, which then lead me to becoming a T.E.A.C.H Corp Volunteer and Teacher at Frank Porter Graham Child Development Center. 

When the child care center closed at FPG, I tried my hand with teaching Kindergarten. Teaching Kindergarten helped me to realize that child care is where I truly belonged- preparing little ones for Kindergarten and beyond. I decided to go back into the child care setting and teach preschoolers at UNC Horizons. My experience there was like no other experience in child care. I worked with young children and mothers as they tackled through the challenges of recovery. While serving women and children in recovery, I also began supporting co-teachers with increasing their knowledge in early education. Doing so, encouraged me to take a try and supporting even more teachers in the field of early education by becoming a Technical Assistant with the Partnership for Children of Johnston County. While increasing my knowledge in Technical Assistance, I pursued and completed my master's degree from the University of North Carolina at Wilmington-majoring in Early Childhood Education with a focus in Advocacy, Policy, and Leadership. Currently, I'm currently a Mentor/Evaluator with the Early Educator Support Office at East Carolina University.

I enjoy learning and sharing information that focus on social-emotional skills and diversity to early educators. Most importantly, I enjoy observing children and teachers increase their knowledge and experiences!


No comments:

Post a Comment