Saturday, February 5, 2022

Black History Month: Celebrating the life and legacy of Black Women Educators – Lisa Carlies

 


I never saw myself as an Early Childhood Teacher. I always had hopes of being a Registered Nurse working in a hospital. Little did I know that my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ had other plans for me. For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future - Jeremiah 29: 1.

I enrolled into the Nursing Program at Medgar Evers College in Brooklyn, NY. I was a young mother of one son (Ramel) at that time and I wanted him to look up to me as a “Shero”. I wanted to be his Supermom!

 My brother John was diagnosed with Muscular Dystrophy, and doctors told my mother that he would not live past the age of 5-years-old. Well, John and God proved them wrong! John passed away at age 28 in a hospital bed, quietly in his sleep.

 Afterwards, I promised myself that I would go into the field of Nursing to take care of others.  I completed a year of Nursing at Medgar Evers College then transition to North Carolina where those credits transferred to my local community college in Goldsboro, NC. I enrolled in the Certified Nursing Aide course and graduated with my license as a North Carolina Nurse Aide Registry. I worked in a nursing home for a few years but became discouraged when one of my residents that I had grown attached to passed away where I had to dress her body and cried the whole time. I took a break and decided that I would try it after my heart had healed.

I relocated my children to Chapel Hill, NC after being told by a friend that pay and employment was better in that area. While enrolling my children in school in Chapel Hill, NC, Principal Brent Norfleet, asked me was I in need of help in finding their classrooms. I told him that I was new to the area and offered me a job as a teacher assistant for exceptional needs children. I was amazed and felt totally blessed! So, I took the position and worked at Guy B. Phillips Middle School and Frank Porter Graham Elementary School for the summer programs. I was employed there for four years and assisted in the Special Olympics for two summers in a row.

I was promoted to Inclusion Facilitator, and eventually left (on good terms) and relocated to Durham, NC to be closer to my church home. While living in Durham, I was hired at a preschool teacher and stayed at that site a few years. While attending Durham Technical Community College where I met my mentor Professor Brenda Williamson! I was enrolled in the Early Childhood Credentials 1 and 2 classes. Professor Williamson inspired me to become an Early Childhood Teacher and Professional.

Her love for her students and for teaching was always made evident in the classroom! She is caring, kind and a gentle soul. There is no Professor like her, and I am just one of many who had the honor of being taught and trained by this Master Educator. She operates in integrity and dedication to her students!

It is because of this beautiful woman that carries such a spirit of excellence (that I met in 2005), that I have continued into the field of Early Childhood Education.  It has helped establish an Infant/ Toddler Program at one preschool I was employed at. She has inspired me to PUSH on when I wanted to give up in the middle of a semester when COVID-19 hit the nation. She is my inspiration when I get weary in this walk of an educator. She is my inspiration because she is also a godly example of a virtuous woman. Everyone needs a Dr. Brenda Williamson in their lives! Oftentimes, I love to share about her with my family and my colleagues. There are no copes of her. There is only one Professor Brenda Williamson. I was blessed to have the original in my life!

I pray that I make her and the God that saw fit to bless me with this gift. Proud!

Teacher and Student,

Lisa Carlies


2 comments:

  1. Lisa Carlies: My former “A” student, after the first day of class our kindred spirits connected and as you wear your faith CROWN, where He has created you to be a strong, resilient, beautiful inside and out woman. Your talents, creativity, and passion for the field of education is shown daily. Continue to let God use you for the betterment of humanity. Thanks for allowing me to have your story in the series of Black Women Educators.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Brenda Williamson was the head of the Education Department when I received my Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education. She is the best and made a great impacted in my life.

    ReplyDelete