Monday, February 21, 2022

Black History Month: Celebrating the life and legacy of Black Women Educators – Kathy Grace

 


I AM Black History! I AM an Educator inspiring, encouraging, and opening minds of greatness that resides within each child. I don't see disabilities, but I see great abilities in every one of them and often remind my kiddies you are not the negative people say you are or believe you are. You are fearfully and wonderfully made!!

My goal is to "see" them wholly for they are...the whole child and not just in part. When I can show a child that they are loved, that they are amazing, that I've got their back, and that I believe in them to the utmost, walls of doubt and insecurities begin to break down and the foundation begins to be added to or even laid for a future that is outstanding, mind-blowing, and life-changing.

I was born and raised in the small town of Grifton, NC to William and Nannie Farrow and the oldest and only girl of three. I remember from as early as first grade loving to help the teacher erase the chalkboard at the end of the day and then being promoted to beating the erasers. That was like winning the lottery! Reading everything I could get my hands on and playing school was one of my favorite pastimes and my dolls had more education than many. My desire was to become a teacher and follow in the footsteps of many of my family who worked in education. My Aunt Pauline who was an awesome Home Economics teacher and I got to go and help her set up and break down her classroom every year. My Uncle George was one of the greatest Principals and Administrators to ever walk this earth and his wife, Aunt Myra led learning through books as a librarian. My Aunt Twinkle encouraged and empowered young people and still tutors to this day. My cousin Cookie, the best Kindergarten teacher God ever created. My Aunt Johnnie Bell who was the Math whiz even taught me geometry in High School. There may have many more, but the passion had been ignited and my heart was set.

Unfortunately, I was persuaded to strive for jobs that would financially sustain me and put my dreams on hold. NC State was the money-making school and gave me the opportunity to work for over 15 years at some of the best companies in the world like IBM and Siemens Medical Solutions. That desire and passion to empower, educate and teach was still there and could not be diminished. My baby brother was one of her biggest supporters and when he passed, she realized life is short and that my dream of being the teacher is always what I wanted to be, regardless of the salary, was my true passion and true calling. I remembered…it’s not about the income, but truly the outcome and changing lives. Therefore, I left Corporate America and went after her dream full force.

I went back to Mt. Olive College at that time and met Dr. Brenda Williamson, the woman who would mentor me, be an exemplary example for me, and the epitome of a true educator for the children teaching me. The very first class I knew I was at home…where I was supposed to be and knew that a dream deferred does not make a dream lost! With hard work, dedication, determination, and with a little Summa Cum Laude my BS in Early Childhood Education was completed. I couldn’t stop there and later received a MS in Educational Management and received a MS in Education/Instructional Technology K-12 both Magna Cum Laude.

Walking in my calling, I am presently teaching 5th Grade at Hilburn Drive Academy. In March of 2021, I was inducted into one of the greatest sororities ever created, Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Incorporated founded by seven educators at Butler University who wanted to make a difference and be a light to empower young black women across the land. I hold the position of Rhoer Coordinator for chapter, Delta Gamma Sigma Alumnae Chapter in Fayetteville, NC. consisting of a diverse group of young ladies between the ages of twelve and eighteen who demonstrate high scholastic standards and consist of training and guidance in education, community service, vocation, fine arts, and social affairs.

Yes, I am also a Pastor, Family/Youth Counselor, mentor, playwright/director, author, singer, and holds several positions that allow her that opportunity to educate, empower and strengthen the lives of our youth now and in the years to come. Because of my village, my family, my Professors, my God I know that each child that crosses my path will have someone instilling in them a legacy that is greater than could ever imagine and destined for indescribable success.

I start each day believing and walking in a quote by the great educator, Rita Pierson, that states, “Every child deserves a champion—an adult who will never give up on them, who understands the power of connection, and insists that they become the best that they can possibly be.” So, who am I? I AM that one that will never give up on any child! I AM Black History! I AM an Educator!! I AM Kathy Farrow Grace!!! Grateful...thankful...BLESSED!!! 


1 comment:

  1. Kathy Grace: I can recall the evening your cohort (UMO at RTP) started the EDU course from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. You sat in the front row and from your engagement I inferred you were a student who had the passion for the profession and will go above and beyond to meet the students where they are for individual learning. You have maintained being an exemplary student I have had in preparing for your chosen profession to the posts readings from the Kiddo Chronicles shared on Facebook. You are an amazing, talented, creative, innovated masterpiece of Black womanhood and continue the journey laid out for you by the Creator. Thanks for allowing me to have your story in the series of Black Women Educators.

    ReplyDelete