Thursday, February 17, 2022

Black History Month: Celebrating the life and legacy of Black Women Educators – Rubetta Miller Carr

 


As we celebrate Black History Month, I am humbled to be among those celebrated as an educator. I am Rubetta Miller Carr, lifelong educator.

Much like a bricklayer, I have been given the task of proving the foundation during those early formative years.  Some of my accomplishments include earning a BS in Elementary Education from UNCG (1990), achieving National Board Certification, Early Childhood Generalist (2002), obtaining a MEd - Literacy Studies concentration from UNC (2005), and being recognized as 2006 Central Elementary Teacher of the Year, just to name a few.

My influences to become an educator began in Logan, West Virginia, a small coal mining community in which I was raised.  I can vividly recall the impact of some of the most influential African American women and upstanding women in the community such as Mrs. Ruth Miller, my first-grade teacher, Mrs. Betty P. Smith, my piano and high school chorus teacher, Mrs. Ora M. Hagood, my godmother and my own mother, Angelia M. Russell-Frazier. 

Twenty-seven of my years of service have been as an elementary classroom teacher and a literacy educator.  As a young child, Mrs. Miller shared her passion for reading, therefore allowing me my first experience of teaching my peers in my own reading group. I witnessed the commitment of Mrs. Smith and Mrs. Hagood in helping students set goals and achieve them over the course of their extended teaching careers This has had a direct impact on my current role, as a teaching and learning coach.  For the last four years, I have followed their example in giving encouragement and support to beginning teachers.

Lastly, my mother, Angelia M. Russell-Frazier became a first-generation college graduate and had success as a 39-year college professor.  She has passed onto me to have faith in God, determination, strength, perseverance, and resilience to overcome obstacles and celebrate victories.


1 comment:

  1. Family lineage is important to me and I was blessed when you and your family attended family reunion then know we had a connection as educators. From posts, you truly are a courageous, determined, unique, beautiful, strong, strengthened masterpiece of Black womanhood. Thanks for allowing me to have your story in the series of Black Women Educators.

    ReplyDelete