Sunday, February 20, 2022

Black History Month: Celebrating the life and legacy of Black Women Educators – Rena’ Hoggard

 


If you had asked me, 30 years ago, what I want to be, my answer would have been a Lawyer. I attended St. Augustine College with the goal of being the best Criminal Lawyer there would be. That dream was very short lived, as I became pregnant, with my oldest son, after my first year of college. At that point, I just knew that any type of college life would be over for me. So, I started babysitting for people at my church and from my mom's job. One day, out of the blue, a family friend, from the church, said to me, "You are so good with children and I think that you would be a great three-year-old teacher. I accepted the position, not knowing anything about teaching nor what to expect. I enrolled into a Community College, taking night classes, to get my Credentials and I began to love what I was learning and was so ready to put it into practice, in the classroom. Did everything, I learned worked for me, “no”, but did I learned how to revamp and not give up.

My family and I decided to move to Raleigh, NC and I got a job at a childcare center, at Perimeter Park, in Morrisville and from there I went to Crosby Head Start, where I worked many years.  During this time, I enrolled in Vance Community College, to get my Associates Degree in Early Childhood Education. It seemed the more I learned, the more I wanted to learn and implement in the classroom.

After working at Head Start, I decided that I wanted to learn the administrative part of Early Childhood, so I applied for an Assistant Director position. I was an Assistant Director for a year and a half and then became the Director, for 7 years, at the same facility. As much as I loved doing what I was doing, I missed working with my babies. 

Then came the program, More at Four, now known as NC Pre-K and back in the classroom I went and I'm still here, this day. I have tutored and mentored many students outside of the classroom and wouldn't give up working with these young scholars, for anything.

I am married with two sons and one granddaughter. Also, I possess a master's degree in Education and Adult Learning. And in my spare time, I enjoy spending quality time with family members, traveling, reading, binge watching TV shows and movies along with volunteer work in the community.


1 comment:

  1. Rena’ Hoggard: I had the honor of serving in the role as your NC Pre-K evaluator. You emboldened and embraced content given from our debriefing meetings where I embed various activities you incorporate in your classroom with my adult students majoring in Early Childhood Education for visual learners to grasp concepts. And yes, you were one of my recipients for Dr. Williamson’s Teacher Appreciation Award. Thanks for allowing me to have your story in the series of Black Women Educators.

    ReplyDelete